Cassie Shepherd

November 27, 2010

"Drink With Me" on Thanksgiving Day


We had such a wonderful Thanksgiving this year. It was especially great because we knew we might not be with family over the next few years. We spent Wednesday night with the Shepherd family and Thursday with my family.








At the Pedersen home we did our normal traditions: chimes and goals. There was a pleasant surprise for Mitch and I though. My family did a toast to us saying how grateful they were and explained how much they were going to miss us. It was particularly special because my older sister, Megan, put together the toast. She wrote the toast and related it to the Les Miserable song, "Drink With Me." It was amazing! She read it aloud and then my two oldest nephews, Tyler and Alec sang it to a rap re-mix which was really fun. The song contains memories of me growing up from my other family members. As Meg read it through the first time, I cried. It meant a lot to know how much my family loves us and will miss us. Here are the lyrics to both the broadway song and the toast:

Original Les Mis Song:

FEUILLY
Drink with me to days gone by
Sing with me the songs we knew
PROUVAIRE
Here's to pretty girls who went to our heads.
JOLY
Here's to witty girls who went to out beds.
ALL
Here's to them and here's to you! 
GRANTAIRE
Drink with me to days gone by
Can it be you fear to die?
Will the world remember you
When you fall?
Could it be your death
Means nothing at all?
Is your life just one more lie?
ALL
Drink with me to days gone by
To the life that used to be
WOMEN
At the shrine of friendship, never say die
MEN
Let the wine of friendship never run dry
ALL
Here's to you and here's to me
MARIUS
Do I care if I should die
Now she goes across the sea?
Life without Cosette
Means nothing at all.
Would you weep, Cosette,
Should Marius fall?
Will you weep, Cosette,
For me?


Pedersen Toast:
ALL
Drink with me to years gone by
Toast with me for our Cas to fly
MARY
Here's to pretty girls who went out to lunch.
MEGAN
Here's to little girls who liked Garth a bunch.

ALL
Here's to you and here's to us! 
BRAD, MOM, BOB
Drink with me to years gone by
Are you ready now to fly?
Will you always remember 
the Martin Cove Trek?
25 pounds of flour, ET 
and your little white truck?
Is it time to say goodbye?
ALL
Drink with me to years gone by
To the years that used to be
ALL
At the shrine of family, don’t ever be shy
ALL
We all love you, now let me say why

ALL
Here's to you and here's to us
JOSH, BOB, DAD
Singing Lord Commanded Nephi
Now, she goes across the states.
Life without Cassandra
Will impact us all.
We will miss our Chicky,
Beanie Babies and all.
Here’s to our Cassie,
and here’s to us.

Here is the video of Ty and Alec singing their little hearts out. Alec actually found this re-mix of "Drink With Me" on-line and they practiced and performed the song on the same day. They really were amazing! And it meant so much! I just love my family!



P.S. Tomorrow is our first day of driving cross country. We'll be in Albuquerque, New Mexico tomorrow night!


No comments:

Post a Comment