Cassie Shepherd

February 13, 2011

New Job

It must've been right because the day I put in my two weeks notice I got an e-mail about a new job as a nanny for a family on Wilmington Island.

Lets back track a little bit. I love the kids I work with. I really do. They are so cute, innocent, and really do make me laugh. However, I can't reach them like I want to. There are a number of reasons as to why I can't but the top few lie in a complicated web of issues within the preschool that I can't fix.

1. NAEYC. Working in a NAEYC accredited center was very important to me. However, I learned, just because you work there does not mean everything falls into place. It is a constant work effort to make the accreditation possible. If everyone hasn't done their part, consistently, over the YEARS, then there can be problems. Big problems. I can come in and fix little problems. I like challenges. However, large problems created over a number of years was too much for me.

2. Time. This isn't unheard of by any means. However, the time "provided" for me to do preparatory work was unrealistic because it also included documentation and assessment, NAEYC accreditation procedures, monthly/weekly curriculum, and activity prep. I had an hour a day IF I was lucky. I can utilize time well, but not that well. Anyone who can - please let me know how you do it!

3. Inconsistency. I could go on for hours about this one. However, the class has been through a lot of teachers. It is the only classroom that did't have a permanent assistant to work with me so I worked with four different float teachers. Any good teacher knows that that many teachers in and out of the classroom during the week won't work. Sorry.

So I've been burnt out the last couple of weeks and don't enjoy it anymore. I feel like I was a little taken advantage of there and I don't want to live a life where I have to deal with that. There are so many opportunities out there. I love the quote by Emerson, "Do not go where the pay may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." I'm grateful that I've worked hard to set myself up so I have a choice.

I must give some props to my manager and my co-workers though. They hold on and do a great job! It just wasn't the right fit for me.

I met with a couple of families on becoming a nanny instead. But, I didn't want a position in which I was a baby sitter. I, hopefully, made it clear I wanted to bring my teaching background into their homes and help further their children's educational structure.

The family I decided to go with feels like the right fit. I work with three girls ages 8, 9, and 10. They are gorgeous girls and have so much potential. They were adopted into the family and have a rough background that included severe neglect. I respect the families privacy so I won't share any more details. However, I am happy with my choice to work with them. I felt an instantaneous bond with the family and know that it will only grow deeper. I hope I can make a difference in their lives.

The schedule is good. I work 27-30 hours a week so it'll allow me to still be able to put a lot of time toward Relief Society. Which, I love spending time on. I'm always happy when I think it is time to work on RS things. I start on Wednesday and I'm really excited. We're fortunate that the pay is also sufficient for what we need.

The Lord has blessed me in my job efforts ever since we've been here. I've been offered a job anywhere I've gone. I've learned a little bit at each place I've been, but I'm very happy to say I have a really great feeling about where I am now. I know the Lord has provided a way for us to be financially stable until he got me right where he needed me. I'm also grateful for all the experiences he is providing here and what we're learning. His blessings are pouring on us daily and I'm humbled with the things that he is showing me.

*Quick update: Elder Fife is making progress. His blog describes how he was able to walk over a 100 yards yesterday. He isn't talking yet and he is having a hard time writing. When his Dad, David, asked him to write "David" Elder Fife only could write the letter d. Everything in the middle was hardly recognizable. But, when the mission president came to visit him he put his hand up to his chin as to indicate he needed to shave. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment