Cassie Shepherd

February 13, 2011

A Savannahian Birthday

River Street
I had such a wonderful birthday weekend! It truly was the best birthday I have ever had.

"Sexy Old Bob"
My family means the world to me. I don't know what I would do with out them. I've always felt so much younger than the rest of my siblings - probably because I am. Twenty three years between me and my oldest sister is a big gap. However, my siblings, my parents, and everyone else have always been so much apart of my life and I know they love me. When I think back over the years to all the amazing things they've done for me I know I am so blessed. There is always a helping hand or a surprise around the corner and I'm so grateful for all they've done for me.


Spankys

What a day. A 3 AM breakfast wasn’t enough for us. We were up and going the next afternoon to show Bob and Ty around. Our first stop was at “The Peanut Shop” downtown on River Street. We got to sample a handful or different flavors of peanuts. Even wasabi. One word - yuk. For some reason Ty and Mitch thought it was good? I liked the chocolate covered nuts. Surprise.

Savannah Sweets
Twenty minutes after filling up on nuts we decided to eat next door at Spankys – known for their chicken fingers and deep fried potatoes. They were yummy. We were pretty full when we left there, but Bob was convinced we needed to find the beignet restaurant him and Luanne ate at six years ago. On our way we got distracted at Savannah Sweets and tried some free samples of freshly made taffy and pralines. We might have bought 2 ½ pounds worth of pralines, but I’m not sure if we should admit it. We also might have bought two very chocolatey and caramely covered pecan treats as well. (And, yes, I know that chocolatey and caralemy aren’t words Mom. :) )



Before we knew it we were eating warm fluffy beignets drenched in pecan sauce at Huey’s Café. No, we weren’t hungry, but we ordered a dozen just in case each one of use wanted to have three. Ty and Mitch barely got one down and I managed to get two down. Bob ate three. They were absolutely the best beignets I’ve ever had. They made for a great Monday morning breakfast.

Bay Street
Tybee
The rest of the evening we spent on Tybee beach. We visited the famous lighthouse and walked out to the ocean. It was cool and just about dark when we got out there. No one was there. It was relaxing and so pretty. Bob was able to just relax and I could tell he was really enjoying being away from his crazy busy life. I was happy he could be apart of our new home and feel content. I think he could’ve stayed there all night on the beach. Just him and the ocean.


As if we hadn’t had enough food. At 10:00, at NIGHT, we went to Ruth’s Chris and enjoyed a perfectly cooked filet mignon. Okay, okay. I enjoyed my perfect steak then I enjoyed Bob’s perfect steak as well. What a great big brother to give me his food too. Him and Ty had actually eaten at Ruth’s four days earlier so it wasn’t as much as a treat for them as it was for me. I managed to eat a few shoestring potatoes, but I saved the majority to eat for lunch the next day. Of course, we topped it off with crème brulee, cheesecake, and yet another nut treat – a praline log. We figured we ate at five different places that had pecans with in 24 hours. Can't come to Savannah and not have pecans is what they say. We took it very literal. I'm starting to take pride in being a "Savannahian" now.

Ruth's Chris
I’ve been full before. Very full.  But, I’ve NEVER EVER been this full in my life. You would’ve thought I gained five pounds that day. In fact, I waited until Tuesday morning to weigh myself again and I was so relieved that I was still at the exact same number as I was the week before. Unbelievable!

We didn’t leave Ruth’s until almost midnight. We were the last ones in the restaurant. We came home and literally crashed. Bob had an early flight the next morning and we had planned to drive down to Jacksonville right after with Ty, but Mitch and I came home and slept another three hours.
Thank you Bob, Mitch, and Ty for making the day so great! The only way it would’ve been better is if my WHOLE family was here. But, that would be a very hard thing to pull off. Thank you to everyone else who was apart of the surprise and for the birthday gifts. FYI Megan – your gracious gift of 3lbs of gummy bears was gone on Thursday. Oh, yeah, and one box of bacon is gone too. I’m pathetic. Why did I eat so much this week!? Never mind, don’t answer that. No, I’m not pregnant anyone.


Speaking of being pregnant, this is a little off subject, but I thought it was funny. Today, I called my mother-in-law to get the dimensions of some fabric for some nursing aprons that I’m making. I keep a few on hand and give them as gifts to my friends who are pregnant. I’m making a couple extra to help out in Relief Society. But, I didn’t tell my mother-in-law that when I told her. I simply just asked the dimensions and hung up. I should’ve known better. Three hours later I have a voicemail from her, “Cassie, I just got to thinking about our phone call earlier and those nursing aprons. I’m wondering if you have an announcement to make. Call me and let me know!” I love her :)

I wish Bob and Tyler could’ve stayed longer, but we all have to go back to reality. Fortunately, Ty was able to come down and see a little bit of Florida with us. I'll write a little bit more about our day down there, hopefully tomorrow. 


1 comment:

  1. Glad you had such an awesome birthday with your guy and family!!!! Happy belated bday.

    ReplyDelete