Cassie Shepherd

March 19, 2011

St. Patrick's Day



In Savannah, St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated as if it is one of the biggest holiday’s in the nation. I was shocked to learn that Mitch had school off and most businesses close down to acknowledge a day in which we wear green. Back home the extent of this holiday was some gold coins from a little leprechaun – or a teacher - on my desk. However, I’ve learned the Irish heritage is a much bigger deal than I realized. People come from out of town by the hundreds of thousands to take part in the festivities that last over the St. Patrick’s Day weekend. The fountains are dyed green and the city hosts a one of the largest St. Patrick’s Day parades in the nation.


Aside from River Street crowded with parties and drunk people, we quite enjoyed our day at the parade. We couldn’t help but want to see what the hype was all about. We settled down at the beginning of the parade right off Gwyentte and Abercorn. Bagpipers, marching bands, and small town floats crowded the streets. Overall, the parade wasn’t spectacular. However, just being apart of the rush and excitement was fun. I have a new appreciation for the phrase, "Kiss me, I'm Irish." Thousands of girls wore bright red lip stick and would run out to kiss the men marching in the parade. It got a annoying to watch after a while. I must say my favorite part was the Budweiser Clydesdales though. Definitely a high light. Mitch and I saw some pretty large horses up Hobble Creek Canyon once. However, these Clydesdales put those to shame. They were beautiful.



We enjoyed taking the three girls that I am a nanny to. I'd love to share the photos of them, but, again, best not for privacy reasons. They got such a kick out of the crazy hair colors and outfits. One day, it'll be nice to bring our own kids to fun activities like this. Meanwhile, I couldn't ask for a better set of girls to work with.  We also met up with Deanna, Charles, and their two kids. Deanna was the one who helped us get settled in Savannah before we even moved here. The Rindlisbacher's, Jeremy, Grace and their son, also joined in the fun with us. The Rindlisbacher's are in our ward and Jeremy is in Mitch's class.


With 400,000 - 500,000 people, parking downtown was a zoo. I enjoyed walking the side streets though and being able to appreciate the "Old Historic Savannah" architecture as we made our way to and from the parade. It really is a gorgeous city.  


1 comment:

  1. I am jealous! Look at all that sun and you guys are wearing shorts. It snowed and stuck (an inch or so where I am) in Utah. Ugh! I'm ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete