Cassie Shepherd

August 28, 2011

Car Wreck & Back to School

Thank goodness we missed the destructive path of Hurricane Irene. We have a few friends who were evacuated. We also had a few friends who lost power and are still without power. They said the grocery stores and gas stations are flooded with people and very few people have non-parishable items avialable. Fortunatley, they were prepared. To top it off they aren't even LDS!

Our bishop is encouraging everyone in our area to be prepared. The height of hurricane season is Labor Day weekend.

Last week I was in a car wreck. Somebody rear ended me. My neck has been sore, but slowly getting better. The girls were in the car. They were scared, but thankfully everyone was alright. The Jeep doesn't look too bad from the outside. It has a few minor dents and scratches. The frame of the car is bent though. Our hitch is also damaged. There are a few odd things that don't work quite as well, but are still manageable. At first we were concerned about driving it. However, the adjuster came out and the insurance said if anything goes wrong then they will cover it. We will know in the next few days how much money we will get to cover the cost of damage.

We are also planning on buying a new car next month. Well, a new used car. We are probably buying Mitchell's mom's Camery. When we go out to Utah Mitch will stay a few extra days and then drive the car back. We figure we will have to have two cars if we plan to start Mitch's rotations here. That is about seven months away, but we hope that we can start saving some more money on gas. Right now we are averaging $300 a month on gas! That doesn't include any weekend get away trips either. My job reimburses me $160 a month. Once we have the Camery I think we will finally be a little closer to breaking even. Overall, I am just grateful for a nice sedan type car to drive around in. The Jeep is fun, but I definitley like the idea of a vehicle that drives a little more smoothly!

My classes start tomorrow! I am really excited. I have already been reading over my syllabi and can't wait to start going. I probably won't be saying that a month from now, but I am glad it is finally school time. I have to take my Finance final on Thursday from my summer courses. I finished the class in July, but Armstrong's testing services have been closed so I am just now getting back to it.

I am taking 5 classes, or 15 credits. I don't know if I have ever taken that many credits. It isn't outrageous, but I definitley have a full work load. I am averaging 30 hours working right now, so it'll be busy. I'm enrolled in:

  • Balancing Work and Family
  • Family Resource Management
  • Marriage and Family Relationships
  • Economic Issues for Individuals and Families
  • Statistics

I have read two of my required reading books already; The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by Dr. John Gottman and Who Moved My Cheese? by Dr. Spencer Johnson. Both books were uplifting and enjoyable to read. It is going to be a good semester!

2 comments:

  1. We are saving up right now to buy a car too. It's so hard only having 1 car! I'm so excited about your classes. Work and Family and Marriage and Family Relationships were some of my favorites. Let's discuss soon :)

    ReplyDelete