Cassie Shepherd

September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago...

I was sitting in my kitchen eating breakfast before school. My dad was watching the news. I vaguely remember hearing about the first tower being accidentally hit by a plane. I vividly remember seeing the second plane coming and hitting the second tower. There was a lot of confusion on the news and it was clearly no longer an accident. My dad was upset and asked me to go wake my mother. The rest of the day the news was left on in all of my middle school classes. I remember coming home after school, sitting on the kitchen chair and being glued to the television.

Yesterday, A3 asked me, "Cassie, I keep hearing all this stuff about the twin towers! What are those? I don't get it." It seems strange to think that I am a generation above a child who doesn't know what the twin towers are, or were. It doesn't seem that long ago.

"Our safety lies in repentance. Our strength comes of obedience to the commandments of God." President Hinckley said this shortly after the attacks. He said that we were in perilous times. We still are. I re-read his October 2001 address to the church and was reminded of how important it is to always align ourselves with the Lord. Also, to always remain optimistic despite dark times. I think his remarks are still just as valid today, especially as there seem to be many unsettling uncertainties that lie ahead of us.

"The Times in Which We Live" - Gordon B. Hinckley

My love goes out to all of those who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001 and in the events of war thereafter. I am grateful for those who serve our country and sacrifice for our freedom. It is my prayer that the people of this nation will seek the truth and draw closer to the Lord. We need His guidance. We must listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment