Cassie Shepherd

May 8, 2012

Learning is...

...not attained by chance. It must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
-Abigail Adams

Abigail Adams is one of my favorite women in history. This is partially due to her 18th century fairytale romance. She was separated from President John Adams for over ten years. Their letters reflect a beautiful love story of devotion and generosity. Aside from that, I am also drawn to her because while her husband was away not only did she raise her children, but she was one of the first women to advocate for equality in women's formal education. 

Mitch completes his first rotation this Friday. I can't believe how fast it has gone. He has been working at the Provo Canyon Behavioral Hospital. His preceptor, Dr. Miller, is fantastic! Mitch has thoroughly enjoyed learning from him. Dr. Miller has made the experience educational and exciting. So much that Mitch is no longer hesitant about working in psychiatry. I am not saying he is going to, but he isn't opposed to it. 

Next week Mitch begins his general surgery rotation at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. It is a fairly new hospital. He will be working with Dr. Price who graduated from Harvard in 1987 - that was before I was even born! Mitch has seemed to lean a little toward surgery, so I guess we will find out if he really likes it! 

Last week I finished my Spring semester. It was tough. Psychological statistics was nearly the end of me. Not only did I pass, but I actually got an A- in the course. I also earned solid As in my other four classes as well. Not bad for working full time and having a complete lifestyle change in the middle of the semester. 

My favorite course last semester was my social policies class. It was a difficult course and required a lot of time, but I appreciated the material and the instructor, Dr. Talley's, ability to challenge my critical thinking skills. The class had well over 100 people and she asked to use two of my assignments as examples in her next semesters. I am not sure if there is a greater compliment from an instructor to have them ask to use your work as an example to teach.

I had a two day spring vacation before summer semester began yesterday. I have another 15 credits that will include:
Study of Adolescence
Research Methods
Family Crises and Interventions
Family Cultures and Diversity
Senior Capstone Project

For my capstone project I am doing my research on children who have been abused and neglected and then adopted. Specifically, a families ability to adjust post-adoption. After I complete my research, I will actually have the opportunity to teach about effective parenting techniques to a group of parents in our community. To supplement my research I am going to volunteer as a Court Appointed Special Advocate. Or in short, a child's advocate. It will be a lot of work, but I am actually really looking forward to the courses. And, thank goodness, no more math classes!!! 

I anticipate this will be my most difficult semester, simply because one of my courses is condensed from a 16 week course to a seven week course and I am sure all my other courses will be extremely time consuming. In any event, I am looking forward to it with ardor and diligence.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my dear Cassie, I am so proud of you and how determined you are to complete your schooling and achieve the most you can from this opportunity you have. I love your quote by Abigail Adams. Learning is certainly not attained by chance, and it does take a lot of determination and discipline, but the love of learning is part of your nature and I know you'll never lose that special gift.

    I don't think I've ever had straight A's in my life, especially in something like Psychological Statistics. Goodness!!!

    You are amazing, but of course I've always known that...

    I LOVE YOU!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you're doing awesome Cassie! I'm so happy for you. You guys are living in Spanish Fork, right? Or somewhere close to that? Welcome back to Utah :) How much longer do you have left in school? Your capstone sounds like a really cool project and you'll be awesome at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kailey! Yes, we are living in Springville, which is right next to Spanish Fork. I will be graduating in Decemeber, thank goodness! Good to hear from you :)

      Delete
  3. Your capstone sounds perfect. I remember you had said a while ago that you were planning on drawing on your experiences with nannying here in Savannah for a future project. I am also super impressed that you are going to be a Child Advocate. I remember talking to you months ago and you saying that was something you were thinking about doing. Good luck with everything! You can do it.

    ReplyDelete