Cassie Shepherd

September 11, 2012

Dear Children,



Written September 18, 2001:

"On September 11, 2001 two hijacked planes deliberately hit the World Trade Towers in New York City. This assault caused the towers to crumble and burn. Just minutes after the attach in New York, the Pentagon in Washington DC was also struck by another hijacked plane. A fourth plane had also been hijacked and had probably been heading for another target in Washington DC. Many thousands of people were killed. 

I am thirteen years old and it was last Tuesday when this tragic event happened. I was getting ready for school and I came downstairs to eat breakfast. My dad turned to me and said, "Have you head of the twin towers in New York?" I said I had never heard of them so he explained to me what they were. Then he told me that just a couple of minutes before, a plane had hit one of the towers. I was interested and watched the pictures on television, but didn't think too much about it. As I finish my breakfast I walked a little closer to the television to watch the burning tower. All of a sudden another plan appeared on the screen and crashed into the second tower. I could hardly believe what I had seen.

The new reports became very excited and so did I. I asked my dad how two planes could accidentally crash into those tall buildings within fifteen minutes of each other. My dad just stood there with a funny look on his face. Then he said, "I have no clue." My next thought was to run and tell my mom. She was upstairs in her office and I ran all the way, taking the steps two at a time. When she saw how upset I was, she immediately turned on the television. She put her hands on her face and said, "What on earth has happened?" We were all glued to the television as I tried to keep getting ready for school

As I arrived in my first period class, there was an announcement over the intercom that allowed the classed to watch the events on television if they wanted to. Our teacher kept the news on until it was announced that another plan had been hijacked and had crashed into the Pentagon in Washington DC. Our teacher then decided it was time to turn off the television and get back to our planned work for the day.

In our second period class, the teacher kept the television on during the entire class period. While we were watching the burning building in New York, both towers collapsed and fell 110 stories to the ground. There was so much smoke and so many people were crying and running and falling down. It was scary. Throughout the day, the teachers had their televisions on in almost every class. Some of my friends seemed very sad, but others didn't seem to care. I don't think any of us really understood what it all really meant. It was almost like seeing another big movie with special effects.

It wasn't until after school when I was back home and watching it again that I began to realize that this was something pretty big. I thought of the thousands of people who were working in those buildings and who were on the planes. They were parents, grandparents, husbands, wives, brothers, and sisters and they wouldn't be coming home that night. These people were just ordinary people, like my family, going to work of flying home from a vacation. They had no warning and had no clue what was going to happen.

I learned later that another plane was hijacked but the passengers had tried to stop it from hitting their next target which could have been the White House in Washington DC. That plane crashed in Pennsylvania. Thanks to some brave people on that plane, our White House is fine.

It wasn't until later in the week that it really began to sink in. Nothing like this had ever happened and it didn't seem like it really could happen. I realized it wasn't just another movie or simply a tragic accident; it was something that was leading our country into another war. I saw the movie "Pearl Harbor" and I studied a lot about World War Two. I have read how awful war can be, and I hope something like that doesn't happen to America again.

This is really important. So many people were killed and the whole world is affected by what happened last Tuesday. So many hospitals are filled with people who were hurt. Many firefighters and policemen lost their lives trying to save people. They people in New York have been so hurt and are so brave. I feel so sad for everyone. It makes me angry that people would actually do something so bad. They killed thousands of innocent people and made life hard for those who lost people in their families. But it's over and I have heard about so many people who are donating blood and trying to help others. They even have waiting lists to give blood at it's so cool that so many people are willing to donate anything they can. You can see American flags hanging everywhere which makes me feel better inside. It was an awful, awful thing to happen, but our country is strong and we are all working together to make the hurt go away."

No comments:

Post a Comment