Cassie Shepherd

November 27, 2012

The Day I Shot A Machine Gun

This picture accurately shows about how I felt…not quite sure what to think!

This isn't really a typical post for me. I am not a gun fanatic. In fact, I don't know anything about guns. I can't even tell you what type of machine gun I shot. Actually, I wouldn't have even called it a machine gun if Mitch hadn't told me. I simply would have said "The Day I Shot A Gun." 

So, two weeks ago Mitch comes running in, "GUESS WHAT? WE HAVE A SPECIAL INVITE TO……." And then he went off about some World War II collection of this and that. All I heard was…special…guns…world's largest…tanks….But since he was so excited, obviously I had to be excited with him. So, of course we scheduled in our special invite to visit the world's largest collection of World War II memorabilia. 

And then I forgot about it. Mitch didn't though. Friday night he was up watching random YouTube videos on stuff blowing up. We got up early Saturday and drove to Tooele, which is about an hour away. Mitchell's dad and his brother also came with us. For the first hour we toured around a large warehouse full of restored WWII trucks, tanks, cars, and motorcycles. Don't get me wrong, it was cool, but for some reason I couldn't quite keep up with the lingo between Mitch and his brother. "…see you just flip this back and then the gun will pop out right here and this moves right here and then this part can do this…" I just stared at the machines and thought how in the world do they know this?! 


The owner of the warehouse apparently owns 3 similarly large warehouses full of more trucks and tanks. He has five full time employees that just work on restoring the tanks. From my understanding - this is his hobby. Talk about an expensive hobby! 


After we toured the warehouse, we followed him up a nearby canyon - out past Grantsville. He catered in lunch for us and about 100 other people. They set up a cannon (don't ask what kind because I don't know) and the machine gun. And, then they let everyone shoot. To shoot the cannon we're talking $50 a whack. And another $25 to shoot the machine gun. I was one of the first ones to shoot the machine gun. I shot it at an old truck. Then, Mitch shot. And then the person after him blew the truck up. Then, we blew up a motorhome and another car. But, the camera battery died so we didn't get any pictures of that.



I have to say the coolest part was probably shooting the machine gun. And, then they had packed the vehicles full of fireworks so as they burned more fireworks just kept going off. 

Best part about all of this is that it was unique. It isn't every day you can say you shot a gun or stood next to an explosive cannon that was used during WWII!

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness! I can't say I'm into guns and old trucks and tanks, but I am very much into history. What a great trip back in time this was for you, and what an opportunity to actually touch and, in a way, experience some of World War II first hand. It's fascinating to think the equipment you saw (and shot) was actually used in battle during that historic time. Wow! Wow!

    ReplyDelete