Cassie Shepherd

June 2, 2013

Twenty Four and Viable


Just like every other pregnant woman that blogs, I am going to be totally unoriginal and post a Pregnancy Questionnaire…


How far along: 24 weeks + 1 day. Celebrating viability this week! 
Viable: capable of living; especially : having attained such form and development as to be normally capable of surviving outside the mother's womb.

Fundal Height: 30 weeks. Essentially this means my tummy is measuring as if I were 30 weeks along with one baby. So, my body feels 30 weeks pregnant, but in actuality I'm only 24 weeks pregnant. What is it going to be like when I'm really 30 weeks pregnant?!

Total Weight Gain/Loss: 30.8 lbs. I feel very good about this number. I went to a twin breastfeeding course last week and looked very similar to two other mother's who were within two weeks of my due date. My doctor said I am in great shape health wise. I'd be happy if I gained no more than another 20-25 lbs.

Maternity Clothes: My maternity jeans are getting a little snug because my hips are expanding. But, I just bought some cute maternity shorts and they will work perfect all summer. I cleaned out my closet about two months ago and left out a number of larger summer shirts that I thought would be perfect. I'm disappointed to say the majority of them look funny. I have a new appreciation for stretchy maternity shirts, which I plan to purchase more of in the coming weeks.


Stretch Marks: None thus far! Lets keep it that way! I alternate daily between a Cetaphil Moisturizer and Cocoa Body Butter. There may not be any solid proof they work, but I'm not taking any chances.


Sleep: No matter what time I go to bed I wake up between 5:45-6:30 AM. Sometimes I can go back to sleep for a little bit or sometimes I aim to try to take an early morning nap around 8:00 or 9:00. If I can't get either in, I lose a lot of energy by late afternoon. I'm trying to take advantage of sleeping as much as possible and just sleeping in while I still can. I'm so so so happy to be able to work from home!


Best Moment Last Week: There were three: my twin breastfeeding class, making the crib bed skirts (which, turned out exactly how I wanted! I love them!), and my first baby shower!


Movement: If I didn't know any better, I'd say they're playing soccer together. Most of the kicks have been very low - down by my pelvic area. I know there is a lot of time for them to move around, but it makes me nervous that Baby A is settling breech style.


Food Cravings: Nothing crazy. Mostly breads and cheese. Sometimes ice cream.


Gender: Still two girls :)


Labor Signs: Nada. In an on-line September twin group there are about 150 of us. I'd say maybe 20-30 are very active in posting and another 10 or so post every once in awhile. Of those 30 - five of the women have already given birth to their twins! This has been over the last 2-3 weeks so not all of them were at viability yet. There has been two sets survive and 1/2 in another set. Even though I am a "high-risk" pregnancy, there are obviously many others that are much more high risk. I'm thankful things have gone so well.


Belly Button - in or out? The top half is out and I'm just waiting for the last little bit to pop out.


What I Miss: Being skinny and able to move my body freely, laying on my stomach, not ever having heart burn, traveling, and overall bodily comfort.


What I am most looking forward to: Finishing the nursery decor, pre-natal classes, and more baby showers.


What I am least looking forward to: An ever growing stomach, becoming even more uncomfortable, sleepless nights, a hot summer, and swelling.

Milestones: 24 weeks and viability was a big milestone. I'm also happy to be pass nausea and have a lot more energy. I'm just hoping it'll last a little while longer.

5 comments:

  1. Ross has lots of great maternity clothes for really cheap. They usually don't have great pants but the have lots of just simple cute shirts for like 6-10 bucks. Looking good, I hope everything keeps going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whitney! I'll definitely check them out! :)

      Delete
  2. Love hearing about you pregnancy, and lucky no stretch marks. I was not as fortunate with Carson, my stomach is full of them. However, with this one no news luckily, good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just hit our 24 week mark on Friday! I would say we are breathing a little easier but that would be a joke. ;) Yay for getting to 24 weeks! Here's hoping we have many more weeks ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll do great Jaclyn! The last six weeks have flown by. I hope the next six+ weeks do too -- for both of us! :)

      Delete