Cassie Shepherd

October 31, 2015

Second Opinion on Emily

After Emily's scare last week, we decided to finally get a second opinion on her wheezing/lack of weight gain. She weighed in at 23.8 lbs which is only up about 2 lbs since February and that's with all her clothes on. Addie's gained 6.

The doctor we chose to go to has a personal relationship with Mitch. He listened to Emily's breathing and there isn't anything emergent pressing which I had figured. But, I'd love to know what is causing the odd sound so we can make sure there isn't an underlying issue. The doctor referred us to a pediatric cardiologist so we can get an echocardiogram and make sure her heart is functioning properly. We're looking for a patent foramen ovale (PFO), which is a birth defect that causes a hole in the wall between the heart's upper chambers. And, having abnormalities like this can cause fatigue, wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, ect. However, a lot of the times PFO isn't even every recognized because there aren't symptoms associated with the hole, so I am not sure. I think it's worth checking out, but it isn't like I feel like I know this is exactly what is going on with her. Our echocardiogram is scheduled for November 24th.

Meanwhile, we're going to also treat her as if she might have asthma. I've watched videos of children with asthma and haven't noticed any of the same symptoms (i.e. the pull of her skin on her neck or in between her ribs). But, I recognize it can be hard to diagnose so we thought a few dosages of albuterol wouldn't hurt anything. Who knows, maybe her wheeze will completely disappear.  Our nebulizer should be here sometime next week and we'll try it out.

We're going to explore some of these paths and watch her weight over the next few months and then go from there. My main concern is she'll catch something during flu/cold season and it'll turn worse because of whatever is going on so I feel good about taking some of these preventative actions. Though, admittedly, I am already dreading another doctor's appointment and another test for fear of how Emily will respond. I can't see her sitting still and letting someone rub a transducer on her for thirty minutes...wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment